Have big fibroid. Going for hysterectomy. Are clamps used on the leg during this procedure?

May 2013
I might get a hysterectomy soon because I have a big fibroid. Do they use clamps on the legs during this procedure? I had a friend have a clamp put on her arm one time during a hand surgery and it caused nerve problems.
Posted Sun, 17 Nov 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Depends on type of surgery

Detailed Answer:
The procedure of the surgery depends on the preferred type of the surgery.
If abdominal hysterectomy is planned, the patient will be supine position and no need of clamping the legs.
In case of vaginal hysterectomy or in laparoscopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy, patient will be kept in lithotomy position.
So bending the knees and clamping are needed here.
But if the procedure is finished in short time there may not be any long term complications.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the answer, please give your review at the end of the discussion.