Have been spotting when supposed to get period. What could be the cause?

Since the 14 I been spotting right when I supposed to get my period !! It's heavy on the toilet paper and on Saturday evening I did need a pad !!but the rest if the days was just when I used the bathroom I recently took a shit if b12 this a period or I am pregnant
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
possibility of pregnancy needs to be ruled out

Detailed Answer:

Since you are having a period less than normal it's important that you rule out a possible miscarriage . You may have bled on time but since the bleeding is less than normal it's important that miscarriage be ruled out also . The best way to do this is to take a pregnancy test . If it's negative then don't worry . It's just a period . However if it's even faintly positive than the possibility of miscarriage remains . In which case an ultrasound is important to rule out incomplete abortion . If the test is negative then don't worry. Hormonal imbalance is probably the cause . Watch your bleeding pattern in the future. Take the test soon because in early pregnancy it won't remain positive for long .

Follow-up: Have been spotting when supposed to get period. What could be the cause? 47 hours later
I have tested - in two test diffenrent days!! And the spotting have stop ! Could it be a lighter period !!
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possibly hormonal imbalance

Detailed Answer:

If the pregnancy test is negative, then its unlikely that this is a miscarriage. In which case mostly the cause may be hormonal imbalance. Just wait and watch.

Note your bleeding pattern in the next few weeks. This may have been an isolated incident. However, if your period next time is still less than normal,or just spotting, then you should undergo some blood tests to rule out hormonal imbalance. Check your thyroid and prolactin levels also.

An ultrasound of the pelvis will also be required. Hormonal imbalance can be medically managed.