Have been diagnosed with IBS. Painful bouts of excessive gas, stress. Had gall bladder removed. Treatment?

I am suffering from bouts of excessive gas which is painful and embarrassing. This usually pre empts a visit to the loo. I have been diagnosed with IBS in the past and have had my gallbladder removed. I suffer from stress.
Posted Mon, 16 Jul 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in.
The symptoms that you currently have can also be due to irritable bowel syndrome. This is a condition where your bowel is a bit over-reactive to any stimulus, particularly fried and spicy foods, caffeine. This could be possibly leading to intermittent spasmodic pain with urgency to clear bowel many times a day. Clearing the bowels typically relieves bout of pain transiently.
There are prokinetic drugs like domperidone which can help and can be prescribed by your physician. In addition, you can also take a proton pump inhibitor like omeprazole which can help in reducing severity.
But you need to be considerate in cutting down on spicy foods, avoid snacks at odd times, quit coffee, smoking cigarretes and drinking if any, regularly exercise, and practice some yoga or XXXXXXX breathing (include relaxation techniques)
Antidepressant class of drugs is quite helpful in managing but need to be taken for prolonged duration.
I hope I have answered your query.
Follow-up: Have been diagnosed with IBS. Painful bouts of excessive gas, stress. Had gall bladder removed. Treatment? 11 hours later
Thanks for your response.

I don't smoke and don't drink very much. However, I do drink coffee but it is decaff - would that still affect me?

I have been given omeprazole in the past - how long should I take that for if I take it again?

Thanks again.

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 15 minutes later

Welcome back.

If you found that helpful you can repeat it.
Omeprazole will be especially helpful if you have dyspeptic symptoms. The usual course is for 6 to 8 weeks once a day.

Antidepressants in low dose have proven benefit.

Visit your nearest doctor for these medications.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other concerns.

Take Care!