Have bacterial tonsillitis infection and severe pain. Taking paracetamol. How to use dispersible aspirin?

Dec 2012

i have a bacterial tonsilitis infection and the pain is intolerable - i have dispersible aspirin do i gargle with it and spit it out or drink it ? i have run out of paracetamol the pain is making me feel sick
Posted Sun, 31 Mar 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 10 minutes later

Thanks for posting,
Dispersible aspirin is low dose of 75mg and it pain killer effect might not be able to work on your tonsillitis. Gargling and swallowing will do but you might not get any relieve. If you can not get to a drug store for OTC paracetamol or aspirin (for reasons belong to you alone), i suggest that you check the actual strength or dosage of the aspirin you have and sum up to make up to 500mg (around 5-12 tablets) before you can get some relief from the pain. If that does not help, you repeat after 4-6 hours. If no improvement, try getting to a drug store for OTC antiinflammatory such as diclofenac or ibuprofen to relief the pain. You will also require antibiotics if not yet on one. Betadine garles will also help.

Hope this information will be useful
Dr Nsah
Follow-up: Have bacterial tonsillitis infection and severe pain. Taking paracetamol. How to use dispersible aspirin? 8 minutes later
the doctor has put me on a 7 day course of augmentin but he said the infection was one of the worst he has seen so he said he might change me onto metronidazoele if it doesnt improve - i was coughing up blood this morning. thanks for the advice up to now I have taken paracetamol, ibuprofen, 30 mg codeine and gargled with aspirin and I am still in agony I am hoping the abx work soon :( thank you for your help
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 36 minutes later
Thanks for updating,
I personally do not think it will be wise for your doctor to change your ATB from augmentin to metronidazole but rather he can increase the dosage or the days upto 10. Ibuprofen 400mg twice daily or paracetamol 500, 2 trice daily or both as a combination could proof to me very effective. If pain persist changing to diclofenac or a steroidal antiinflammatory might also relief pain.

Hope this helps further and please if you are satisfied with my answer do accept my answer.
God bless
Dr Bernard