Have atrial fibrillation, taking Bisprolol. Have racing heart and arm pain. Done Echo test

I have been diagnosed with AF of the heart, I am taking 10mg Bisprolol Fumarate.I am still getting a racing heart and some slight pains in the right arm. I am 41 years old and was very active before this happened. doing duathlons- lots of running and cycling.
This is my echo report. I had to type it in

The echo report is as follows:

LV systolic function

Normal LVF

Core measurements normal range
Aortic root 3.4 2.0-3.6
Left Atrium 4.0 2.7-4.0
Septum 1.1 0.6-1.2
LV end diastolic dimension 5.9 3.9-5.9
Posterior LV wall 0.8 0.6-1.2
LV end systolic dimension 3.7 2.5-4.0

LV assessment
AF mean rate 110bpm
LV diastlic size is upper limit of normal with normal systolic function.diastolic function not relevant with AF.

Right Heart assessment
normal RV size with good systolic function

Tricupsid AV with normal doppler velocity
slight thickening of the anterior mitral leaflet with a thin jet of MR.Mild flow convergence in the LV.
Normal PV
Mormal TV with trivial TR.

Normal LA size, normal RA size, no obvious septal defect seen
insignificant pericardial fluid seen posteriorly around the LV.
IVC 2.1cm with normal collapse

LV diastolic size is upper limit of normal with normal systolic function. diastolic function not relevant with AF.
Mild/moderate mitral regurditation(Mild leaflet thickening/function of AF)
Posted Thu, 20 Sep 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
I am a qualified and certified cardiologist. I read your question with diligence.

Atrial Fibrillation with normal atrial size as is in your case; if atrial fibrillation it is of recent onset an effort can be made to covert it to sinus rhythm both by drugs like Amiadarone or elective DC cardioversion. Though such a process is reserved for hemodynamically unstable patients. I would refer you to an article about restoration of normal sinus rhythm from atrial fibrillation. The article is for laymen please go through. It has to done under supervision of a doctor if she/ he thinks that it is appropriate for you. The article I am referring to is: WWW.WWWW.WW
Echo findings are consistent with atrial fibrillation. If you have a specific query about about any thing related to AF you are having I can answer that in followup. Thanks for typing in the report.

You have asked about right sided arm pain that is related to cycling not to atrial bibrillation,. Your heart is normal as per the echocardiography report. Please ask a any follow up questions I will be most happy to answer as soon as possible. Good Luck.

With best wishes.
Dr Anil Grover,
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW
Follow-up: Have atrial fibrillation, taking Bisprolol. Have racing heart and arm pain. Done Echo test 7 hours later

Thank you for your reply.
I have been instructed by my doctor, who is not a cardiologist, to stop all exercising. even riding the bike. My question is, would it be safe for me to resume riding the bike? or should i wait until the rhythm is restored?

Kind regards

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 3 hours later
Thanks for writing back with a pertinent query.

What your doctor is thinking that you have intermittent atrial fibrillation associated with high ventricular rate and second he your doctor has excluded kept coronary artery disease as underlying etiology as the etiology. Therefore, no exercise. As you might have bout of fast ventricular rate AF during cycling and you may injure yourself. A holter can certainly help in resolving the later issue but former can be suspected on EKG can help. I have not seen your atrial fibrillation strip if you can send that to me I can make value judgement on the issue. My suggestion would be absolute No to Driving and Swimming for now till we ave full knowledge of your status and second you have to follow your doctor's advice in spirits. Bike aouround your neighborhood preferably in group. Should you have premonition stop and take rest before getting help back to home. Do not drive even bicycle on highway. Similarly walk in the park is allowed if you get chest pain stop. People with chronic AF live normal social life. You may become victim somebody else's fault. Take an appointment with a cardiologist for second definitive opinion. Certainly you require investigations and definitive assessment for optimal management. For now you are not taking any drug which is used for restoring sinus rhythm.

Out of curiosity a question How long it takes to get an appointment with a ?cardiologist before you can see him in the place you are residing.
With best wishes.
Dr Anil Grover,
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW