Have arm pain and tingling in forearm. MRI showed straightening of the cervical spine with focal reversal of the normal lordosis

Spine Surgeon
Question
I have left arm pain and tingling in my forearm, hand and fingers. My MRI was as follows:
TECHNIQUE: Multiplanar MR imaging was performed through the cervical spine at 1.5 tesla with images obtained both before and after administration of 14 cc Omniscan IV contrast.
FINDINGS: Normal bone marrow signal with fracture deformity or osseous lesion. there is straightening of the cervical spine with focal reversal of the normal lordosis at c5/c6. Normal cord signal. No paravertebral edematous changes. no abnormal enhancement. There is advanced atlantoaxial osteorarthritis with ligamentous and capsular hypertrophy causing mass-effect on the anterior cervical medullary junction. there is disc dissiccation and mild to moderate disc space narrowing identified from C4-C7 with small marginal osteophytes.
C3/C4: There is moderate narrowing of the left neural foramen due to facet and uncovertebral osteoarthritis. Patent right neural foramen.
C4/C5: Minimal disc bulge without central canal narrowing. Moderate narrowing of the right and mild narrowing of the left neural foramen due to facet and uncovertebral osteoarthritis.
C5/C6: 3mm broad-based posterior disc extrusion causes mild mass-effect on the anterior cord with mild to moderate central canal narrowing with measures 8mm. There is marked narrowing of the bilateral neural foramen due to facet and uncovertebral osteoarthritis.
C6/C7: 2.5 mm broad-based posterior disc osteophyte complex with minimal contact of the anterior cord. Disc pathology combined with ligamentum flavum hypertrophy contributing to moderate central canal narrowing with measures 7mm. there is severe narrowing of the neural foramen due to facet and uncovertebral osteoarthritis.
C7/T1:Mild disc bulge without central canal narrowing. The right neural foramen. Marked narrowing of the left neural foramen due to facet uncovertebral osteoarthritis.
IMPRESSION:
1. No fracture deformity, malalignment or osseous lesion.
2. Straghtening of the cervical spine likely due to degenerative changes and muscle spasm.
3. Degenerative disc and joint disease most prominent from C5 through C7. Thyere is also marked narrowing of the neural foramen across these levels.
4. Normal cord signal
5. Advanced atlantoaxial osteoarthritis with capsular and ligamentous hypertrophy causing mass effect on the adjacent anterior cervicomedullary junction.

Is this something that can be treated with physical therapy? Thanks in advance.
Posted Wed, 15 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 4 hours later
You have disc degeneration and facet disease with compromised space for the nerves. Treatment depends upon your symptoms. Correlation of MRI Findings and clinical findings is important. Need to know how is your pain pattern? How bad is the arm pain? Any tingling in arms? Severity of the symptoms?
Definitely physical therapy with regular exercise will help to reduce the pain. Thanks.

Follow-up: Have arm pain and tingling in forearm. MRI showed straightening of the cervical spine with focal reversal of the normal lordosis 13 hours later
I have severe shoulder pain, elbow pain that feels like a burning sensation and also tingling in hand and fingers up to shoulder (which happens every 10 to 15 minutes), and tip of finger numbness in my index finger. i have an ortho appt on Monday, but shouldn't i see a neuro?

Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 1 hour later
It indicates that you have radiculopathy symptoms. You need to consult spine or neuro specialist. Discuss about your current disability as well. Thanks.