Have ankylosing spondylosis. Have painful swollen lymph node on upper thigh. What's wrong?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have ankylosing spodylitis. I have been free from flares for the past 2 years. About three months ago I pulled a muscle in my groin. I have had a VERY slow recovery and my AS pains are also bad right now. I have what I assume is a lymph node in my upper thigh that is very, very painful. It feels exactly like a node I had that was swollen in the past that was right in my groin (about an inch away). I went to the doctor and they said that, "It does feel like a swollen lymph node would feel, but there are no lymph nodes outside the groin in the lower body" This does not make sence to me, as many of the pictures I have seen online show nodes extending into the front inner thigh (femoral lymph nodes?).
1. could he be wrong? Should I get a second opinion?
2. Is it possible that it is swollen in reaction to my muscle injury?
3. Could it be swollen as an inflammatory response to my ankylosing spondolitis? I have read that other autoimmune problems can irritate the nodes, but have not found any mention of AS.
Thanks so much for your time.
Posted Tue, 26 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 18 minutes later
The swelling in the area that you describe can be a swollen lymph node. The other possibility is a fibroma or a neurofibroma. It is not likely to be related to the muscle sprain you had three months ago. If it is a lymph node even then it is not likely to be due to inflammation caused by ankylosing spondylosis.
It is best to get a second opinion. For the confirmation of diagnosis, you need to get this lump examined from another doctor and get a MRI scan for any soft tissue growth and a FNAB (fine needle aspiration biopsy) done.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Have ankylosing spondylosis. Have painful swollen lymph node on upper thigh. What's wrong? 41 hours later
I am still trying to pinpoint what is happening with me. There is so much happening in my body that it is hard to figure out what is injury/illness/inflammation.

I have just realized that right before I got the groin pain I was sick with a sore throat/fatigue/aches/feverish for about two weeks. I did not have any "cottage cheese" in my throat/ it was over the holidays/ and my dr was moving, so I just waited it out. In the middle it was getting better and then it came back full force. After that I was feeling very tired.

Along with the groin pain, about the same time I got severe rib pain in my lower left ribs on the left side. I got a kidney ultrasound and had a urinalysis done. Everything came back normal. but bloodwork showed that my liver enzymes were slightly elevated.

Since the groin pain began, I have not had an active sore throat, but it does get "achy" every once in awhile. It seems to subside.

I feel feverish occationally (every other dayish), but it usually subsides fairly quickly. I have been getting terrible chills at least once a day, but again, if I "warm up" it subsides.

I am wondering if this sounds in line with mononucleosis? Could the rib pain be spleen pain? My lymph nodes in my upper body have not been painful, but I never checked to see if they were swollen, before today (they are not).

I have a call out to my doctor, but I am afraid that because he does not think it it lymph pain, he will not take it seriously. I seem to have more lymph nodes that seem to be swelling in that area, but those go down fairly quickly. Of course they were not swollen when I went to the doctor.

Does this sound like mono is a possibility? I do not want to make demands on the doctor if this sounds ridiculous. I need to be selective of what to demand of him so I get down to this.

Thanks so much.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Your symptoms are more likely to be due to a generalized viral infection which can be associated with mild lymph node enlargement. The pain in the throat will not cause a lymph node swelling in the groin. The pain on the left side of the rib cage can be related to spleen. It can be diagnosed after an ultrasound.
Your symptoms are likely to subside in a week or two. In case these persist then do visit your physician for a detailed evaluation.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.