Have ankylosing spondylitis. Taking flexura for back pain. Facing acidity problem. Should I stop medication?

Question
I AM SUFFERING FROM ANKYLOSING SPONDYLITIS SINCE LAST TWO YEARS, I HAVE LOWER BACK PAIN. I AM TAKING FLEXURA 400 TWO TIMES IN A DAY, ETOSHINE60 ONE TABLET, SHELCAL OS TABLETS, PANTOP D PER DAY. STILL I AM FEELING SOME PAIN . DUE TO SIDE EFFECT OF THESE MEDICINE GAS FORMATION AND ACIDITY OCCURS. I AM TAKING THESE MEDICINES FROM LAST SIX MONTHS. BUT I GIVE THESE MEDICINE FROM LAST ONE MONTH AND CONCENTRATE ON EXCERSIE AND YOGA. I AM FEELING BETTER THAN MEDICINE. CAN I GIVE-UP THESE MEDICINES PERMANENTLY
Posted Sat, 20 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Mamun Kabir 4 hours later

Thank you for your query.

Ankylosing spondylitis is usually a long standing disease which has relapsing & remitting illness; but in some cases, the disease activity is continuous.

There are various treatment option of this disease and exercise is one of the mainstay of treatment.
If the pain is minimal or tolerable then analgesic (pain killers) can be tapered after discussing with your treating doctor.

Long term use of analgesic can create problem, therefore I feel you can taper and stop few medications after discussing with your doctor.

I hope I have been some help of your query. Please write if you have any doubt.