Have anal itching after taking Doxycycline to prevent malaria. No rectal bleeding. What should I do?

Urologist
Question
I started using doxycyclne to prevent malaria when I went on a trip to Africa (prescribed by doctor). Shortly after using it, I started having anal itching / discomfort. I have been off doxycyclne for 9 weeks but the discomfort has not stopped (it occurs after defecation). There is no rectal bleeding. What should I do?
Posted Tue, 18 Sep 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 9 minutes later

Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX
Based on your history, it is most probably worm infestation and treatment is 1 to 3 days of medicines. It is unlikely a side effect of doxy.
If it persists, the GP may examine that area for any local cause like piles/fissure or fistula.
The treatment will be based on the result.
Hope this helps,
Kindly get back for doubts if any---
Dr GS

Follow-up: Have anal itching after taking Doxycycline to prevent malaria. No rectal bleeding. What should I do? 12 minutes later
Thank you. Anal itching was listed as a possible side effect on the small leaflet that came with the doxy, and it started very shortly after I started taking it.

What medication should I use to treat worm infestation? And, how could I have got a worm infestaton?

Many thanks for your kind help.
Follow-up: Have anal itching after taking Doxycycline to prevent malaria. No rectal bleeding. What should I do? 9 minutes later
Also, I don't have itching / discomfort at night. It is only after a bowel movement.

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 18 minutes later

Thanks for your reply.
Worm infestation is usually rare in UK.
But i suspected that based on your visit to AFRICA.
IN that case, it is worthwhile waiting for a few days for spontaneous resolution if it is related to the side effect of the drug.
Otherwise, it is better to visit the GP.
Your GP would be the best person to give the right medications ( anti-helminth drugs)

Hope this helps.
Dr GS