Have an irregular heartbeat. Felt a rapid beating sensation in leg and neck area. What is this?

Good

Cardiologist, Interventional
Question
I am having an irregular heartbeat - a PVC every few minutes, and have also felt a rapid beating sensation in my right leg and neck area. What is this?
Posted Sat, 10 Nov 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders

Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 1 hour later
PVC or premature ventricular contraction is an abnormal heartbeat, which occurs due to an electrical impulse from lower chamber of heart called ventricle.

Usually occurs earlier than usual normal beat and hence beat following this has long time for filling and is more forceful and can felt as thump or pulsation usually in the chest and neck.

The overall implication of it depends on any underlying cardiac illness i.e. there or not and how frequent these episodes are.

If your heart functioning is normal and they come once in awhile then there is no concern. However, if they are very frequent or if there is weakness of heart (LV dysfunction) there is ground for further evaluation and treatment.

Do write back for follow up queries that you may have.

Follow-up: Have an irregular heartbeat. Felt a rapid beating sensation in leg and neck area. What is this? 10 hours later
What is the definition of "frequently" and "once in a while"?
What is the response to the rest of the original question?

Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 8 hours later
Frequently generally means 10% of heart beats. But that would be generally known on holter. Clinically we call ‘frequent’ when it disturbs your daily routine.

As per your initial question is one liner and felt that I have answered in detail. If need any further clarification, you may please ask it specifically.

Follow-up: Have an irregular heartbeat. Felt a rapid beating sensation in leg and neck area. What is this? 13 hours later
I am also experiencing a vibrating sensation in my leg and neck - very infrequently. Is that related to this or part of it?

Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 9 hours later

Vibrations in the neck is likely to related to VPCs; but vibrating sensation in leg is very less likely to be related to it.

Hope this answers your query. Should you have any more queries, I will be pleased to answer them.
Please close this discussion if all your queries are answered.