Have an implanted morphine pump and taking dilaudid for Fabry disease pain. Have pilonidal cyst. Prescribed lomotil. Remedy?

I have an implanted morphine pump and am also taking dilaudid for my Fabry disease pain. If I run out of dilaudid, I get massive diarreha for days. I also have a pilonidal cyst that bleeds and drains: however the doctors don't want to do anything with this as long as I don't have pain with it. My doc prescribed lomotil, but this does not stop the diarreha. Once I take dialudid again it stops the diarrhea. Is there anything I can do to correct this problem? I don't want to take dilaudid anymore.
Posted Fri, 30 Aug 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,

I think you need a proper clinical evaluation. Management of the pilonodal cyst takes lots of things into consideration (clinical status, scientific knowledge on outcome with respect to particular interventions, both medical and surgical). I think your doctor takes of these into consideration and for sure acts in your best interest in the decision making process. You might need to get another opinion of a proctologist or an experienced general surgeon.

Stopping a drug takes a consensus between the physician and the patient. There are always withdrawal concerns and the doctor certainly consider many issues before prescribing the drugs. For sure, it might be very valid and necessary to change treatment at times, but I think you discuss other options, which do exist of course, with your doctor. Fabry's disease requires careful planning and monitoring of treatment.

Talk with your treating physician. Thanks and hope this helps.
Bain LE, MD.