Have addison's disease and failed adrenal gland. Taking fludrocortisone and prednisone. Any side effect?

Hi Dr. Grief,
I have Addison's disease and am taking fludrocortisone and prednisone for this. Trying to "jump-start" my adrenal gland failed, so I'm on a consistent higher dose of prednisone now. Could you please tell me your answer regarding whether regular steroid shots (for pain) may have caused the Addison's disease? Also, is the "stress" reduction psychological? I must admit I've been truly laid back and experiencing little to no stress since. Would you also please discuss the disease as in-depth as you can? Thank you ever so much! Mary Theisen
Posted Wed, 31 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 3 hours later
Addison's disease is a complex entity. It takes a good endocrinologist to firstly make the right diagnosis of adrenal insufficiency. Addison's cannot occur without adrenal insufficiency. Addison's is an extreme crisis form of adrenal deficiency.

Fludrocortisone and prednisone are acceptable ways to manage this condition.

Yes, frequent steroid shots for a prolonged length of time have the potential to cause this problem.

You can learn more by perusing this link :