Ask a Dentist   »  

Have a sore swollen gum. What is causing this and cure?

I have a sore swollen gum in one area on the lower left side of my mouth next to a tooth. It has been that way for a few weeks, it has gone down since the white pulse have come out - however, the white pulse has reoccur again and i bust it again.

this is the first time i have ever had this happen to me - i don't know if it is a bacteria or abs. can you help me figure out what it may be
Posted Sat, 1 Dec 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

It sounds like a dental abscess which is a collection of pus.It is usually triggered by minor trauma to the oral cavity.There are four types of abscesses that can occur in the mouth, the name varies according to which part of the mouth is affected and how far it extends.
It presents which the discharge that you are describing, some persons may also have pain, tenderness when pressing the area involved, swelling, fever.

Treatment would involve incision and drainage of the abscess by a dentist and an antibiotic.

I hope this helps and that the abscess resolves soon.Feel free to ask any other questions