Have a small tear on labia minora. Having yeast infection. Taking fluconazole. Could it be herpes or STI?

HIV AIDS Specialist
I have a small tear on my labia minora. I've had one similar about 6 months ago. I didn't have any trauma to that area to the best of my knowlege. I'm usually itchy there as I normally have a lot of yeast. I have no other symptoms. Last time it seemed to heal after taking fluconazole. I'm scared to death it is herpes. There is no blisters and no discharge from it. Do you think it is an STI
Posted Sun, 2 Sep 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 59 minutes later

Your fear of STD in this regard is not at all necessary.
Without obvious trauma (also sexual trauma), if you have a picture of tear like lesion of your Labia Minora, it is possible due to yeast infection.

As you have already history of yeast infection and got treated, still it may be possible due to yeast infection.

This may likely to relapse if it is not treated adequately, if your partner not got treated or if you have some predisposing factors for yeast infection like Diabetes, prolonged antibiotic therapy, Recent intake of steroids and other immuno- suppressive drugs, radiation endocrinopathies, antimicrobials other than antibiotics, skin and nail bed infection which had not been corrected etc.

So you approach your Gynaecologist or Dermatovenereologist and investigate and got treated completely and eliminate predisposing factors you will be alright and your tear of labia minora also will heal completely and will not recur.

The treatment of Yeast infection may have to be extended for 3-4 weeks and till then sexual abstinence is indicated.

Wish you a speedy recovery. Do write back for follow up queries that you may have.

Dr S.Murugan
Follow-up: Have a small tear on labia minora. Having yeast infection. Taking fluconazole. Could it be herpes or STI? 6 hours later
So it is possible this is a relapse from the last time it happened and one dose of fluconazole was not enough? I've scared myself to death researching herpes and reading it can present as a tear
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later

Pleased to answer your feedback question.

Yes, one dose of Fluconazole is recommended by most of the books. However, usually in practice this dose is not sufficient for the total elimination of the infection. Weekly once for 3-4 weeks you have to take the dose of Fluconazole 150 mg.

In herpes infection, tear like lesion is not common. Therefore, you need not worry about Genital Herpes.

You can be cured easily and totally.

Dr S.Murugan