Have a slightly enlarged liver. Will the liver recover if I reduced drinking alcohol?

Hi there. I have been told that I have a slightly enlarged liver (18cm). My LFTs are all normal but it worries me that my liver is enlarged. I do drink (probably 5 days out of 7) and it would be fair to say that my glasses of wine are not on the small side although I have never been a binge drinker. I am absolutely committed to cutting back but don't want to give up altogether. My question is - if I reduce the sizes of my drinks to the recommended levels and have 4 days/week of no alcohol at all will my liver recover or do I need to go off all alcohol completely in order for this to get better?
Posted Wed, 21 Nov 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
The sooner you reduce the quantity and frequency of alcohol intake, earlier will be the recovery.
The enlargement of liver due to alcohol intake is reversible to a large extent.
Stopping drinking alcohol after a prolonged period of drinking of multiple years is difficult, as it is associated with withdrawal symptoms. Such Withdrawal symptoms range from mild discomfort to actual medical distress. After a prolonged period of drinking the body becomes dependent on the chemicals that are contained in alcohol that make it extremely hard to quit drinking on their own. For this reason it is medically advisable, that it should be done under the supervision of a medical professional.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Have a slightly enlarged liver. Will the liver recover if I reduced drinking alcohol? 2 hours later
Thankyou for your reply. I am going to go off all alcohol for at least the next month. Can I expect a reduction in liver size after that? And also is 18cm at the mid clavicular line seriously enlarged?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 26 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
A size of 18cm is a serious liver enlargement and needs alcohol reduction and restricted intake of fatty foods to decrease the size.
After you stop taking alcohol, you can expect a decrease in liver size in 6 weeks.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.