Have a rash spreading, used Momatasone Furoate Cream. It still spreading. Suggest?

Oncologist
Question
I have a rash spreading from my XXXXXXX up my leg on my outer thigh, and same side forearm.
This is spreading on my leg a lot. I applied anti itch cream and at night I used Momatasone Furoate Cream. It still spreading. What doe sit look like to you?
Posted Sun, 30 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 9 minutes later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

This is a very good question and I work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

Thank you also for sending the photograph. After checking the photograph and reviewing your symptoms I think what you may be dealing with is a superficial infection. This infection can possibly be caused by bacteria. Some bacteria including staph bacteria can cause rashes and itching like you have experienced.

Generally if the symptoms continue as you have experienced it would be necessary for you to see your physician for a good examination and recommendations. Recommendations may include a topical antibiotic as well as antibiotic which you might take by mouth for a period of time.

I would certainly consider this since the rash does not seem to be responding to the topical steroid cream you have been using.

Unfortunately there are not very good over-the-counter remedies for this type of thing and I think you might need to see your doctor to have this evaluated.

Thanks again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any additional specific concerns.

Dr. Galamaga

Follow-up: Have a rash spreading, used Momatasone Furoate Cream. It still spreading. Suggest? 14 minutes later
Is this very contagious? What precautions should I take until I see my doctor?

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 4 hours later
This is potentially contagious. I would avoid close contact and maintain coverage of this area for the time being until you're able to obtain treatment

I would keep the area clean and dry for the time being. You might also try putting a topical antibiotic ointment on a small area to see if you are able to see some type of response. Topical bacitracin for example would be an option.

Thank you again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any additional follow-up concerns.

Dr Galamaga