Have a palpably distended blood vessel on the inside of arm. Could it be lymph node swelling?

I have a palpably distended blood vessel on the inside of my upper left arm. It travels midway along the inside area of my biceps muscle. Feels like a pea size lump in 2 inches from the elbow. When I stretch my arm out, it feels tender and taut, like a tight string. There is a slightly blue bruise about the size of a quarter where the pea size lump is palpable. This has been like this for 3 weeks. I have an abscessed tooth -5 months now-that drains pus every now and then. I don't have dental insurance. Could it be a lymph node swelling due to pus draining into my throat. Would it be a good idea to get a CBC and a UA done. What advice do you have for me?
Posted Mon, 5 Nov 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 9 hours later
The swelling in the mid arm on inner side is indicative of either a vascular problem like a thrombosis of basilic vein/ an aneurysm of brachial artery; or it may be an enlarged lymph node of suprotrochlear region.
It would be a good idea to get a CBC alonf with CRP and ESR, d-Dimer levels and a vascular Doppler which would be helpful helpful to differentiate the thrombotic or infectious pathologies.
UA is not needed and the tooth problem is not a cause behind this because that area does not drain in arm lymph nodes.
Other rare and remote possibilities are bony exostosis/ cyst/ malignancy.
I hope this answers your query. Please get the advised investigations and put a follow up query.
You should also get a local physical examination by a surgeon and review with report.
In case you have any follow up queries or doubts, you can forward them for me, and I shall be glad to help you.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.