Have a lymph nodes under both arms, in groin and neck also. Is it normal to feel lymph nodes?

Nov 2013

Hello..! Is it normal to feel lymph nodes ? I Have a thin frame and can feel 2-3 under both arms, a couple in my groin and neck also. They are all small and very mobile. I think the biggest are under my arms and that would be 1-1.5 cm each. My dr did my yearly exam and didn't even notice them. I went back to a pa and pointed them out and he said they were normal nodes. I am very healthy, mom of 4.
Posted Tue, 18 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 18 days later

Thank you for posting your query.

It is normal to feel occasional nodes, especially if they are small (less than 1 cm in size).

However, multiple lymph nodes or nodes more than 1 cm in size require evaluation. Other features of note would be if the nodes are hard in consistency, not mobile, or if they start growing in size, or if they become painful.

In these situations, it is better to get a biopsy or FNAC (needle aspiration) of lymph node done to exclude a disease such as infection, lymphoma, other malignancies, etc. It is possible that they are normal nodes, though, in your case.

I hope it helps.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM