Have a large lump on the inside of buttock cheek. What are the chances of cancer?

General Surgeon
Hi, I have a large lump on the inside of my buttock cheek. it is about 3" long and about 1/2" thick. I just noticed it. What do you think it could be? What are the chances it is cancerous? Thank you.
Posted Tue, 9 Oct 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 16 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

If this is localized in the beginning of buttock cheek, and has a little hole-like place, it is a pilonidal cyst. This is a lump caused by ingrown hair. Such condition irritates surrounding tissues and causes a lump. Such lump is harmless however it can get inflamed and lead to local abscess. That is why it should be removed by a surgeon.
In such localization cancers are very rare, so the chance of cancer is very low.
If you want to make sure what is it, ultrasound of this area will tell.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.