Have a knot on collar bone by shoulder. Hurts when pressed. Underlying cause?

Question
I have a knot on my coller bone by my shoulder it's hurts to touch and is very painful when I bench press
Posted Tue, 21 May 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 51 minutes later
Hello sir and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

First, I would like to ask you a few more questions about the lump/bump/knot you have developed.

Is it mobile or fixed? Is it soft or hard? When did you first notice it? And has the superficial skin changed since its appearance? You did mention it to be painful, which is actually a good thing.

Now, this could be a number of things sir:
-An abscess (infection causing a small cavity to be formed under the skin, can be drained or treated with antibiotics)
-An infection which has resulted in lymph node involvement (this lump could be an enlarged lymph node)
-Based on the location, it could be a supraclavicular lymph node as well (indicative of more serious conditions like cancer), but in this case the lump is usually painless

I would definitely recommend you to visit a doctor sir. It is close to impossible to diagnose or judge the cause for its appearance. Which is why you will have to visit a doctor at the earliest. I am sure this will be something simple and easily treatable, but we shouldn't take it lightly, and you should schedule an appointment with a doctor at the earliest.

I hope you found my response helpful and informative. Do write back to me for any further clarifications, or you could rate my answers after closing this discussion.

Best wishes.

Follow-up: Have a knot on collar bone by shoulder. Hurts when pressed. Underlying cause? 4 minutes later
The bump is hard and fixed it almost feels like a bruise but I don't have one when I bench press it grinds my shoulder without much weight also my collerbone feels like it moves

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 3 minutes later
Thank you for that information sir.

I feel you should visit your doctor sir. A simple physical examination and ultrasound of the area can greatly help.

That is all it takes. Why wait and let it get worse, when we can treat it in the early stages, and treat it effectively. I hope you understand sir. A short visit to the doctor will do wonders.

Best wishes.