Have a hiatal hernia. Can I have heart attack or stroke from it?

Gastroenterologist
Question
hi doctor I have a hiatal hernia. can I have a heart attack or stroke from it or something? please help im soo scared
Posted Sat, 14 Sep 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hiatus hernia has nothing to do with heart attack

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Thanks for putting your query in XXXXXXX I am a Gastroenterologist (DM).

Hiatus hernia is protrusion of stomach into oesophagus, it has nothing to do with heart attack or stroke which is easily clear from what I said above about hiatus hernia. Most of the time it remains asymptomatic in most people. Sometimes it may be associated with acid peptic disease, dyspepsia (which is mild abdominal discomfort) for which a proton pump inhibitor like rabeprazole along with a prokinetic agent like domperidone is sufficient.

I hope I have answered your query and this will help you. Remain in touch and get-well soon.

Follow-up: Have a hiatal hernia. Can I have heart attack or stroke from it? 4 minutes later
. If not caught in time the Hiatal Hernia will CAUSE Neurons in the brain stem to die or lose their ability to function (lack of circulation) CAUSED by the Heart being restricted by the Hiatal Hernia, affecting the muscles of the body, thus Parkinson's Disease becomes the ultimate EFFECT. Another example is the common Stroke. There have been many millions of people who have died from Strokes and Heart Attacks over the years who were suffering from an unattended and ignored Hiatal Hernia. One of the CAUSES of a Stroke is Thrombosis, which has to do with blood conditions and circulation most likely CAUSED initially by the presence of a Hiatal Hernia. One of the Major problems of a Hiatal Hernia is the condition

Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No it's not like that

Detailed Answer:
No it's not like that. There are few case reports only and in that also cause effect relation is not confirmed. I think it may be just coincidence only. I want to reassure again they were simply association in few case reports but hiatus hernia itself never cause at all what you have mentioned. so there is no need to worry

Follow-up: Have a hiatal hernia. Can I have heart attack or stroke from it? 15 hours later
looking at attached is it posdible to tell me which type I have and at which stage and what I can do to correct it. many thanks

Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It appears to be small hiatus hernia-sliding type

Detailed Answer:
Hello! It appears to be small hiatus hernia of sliding type

if you do not have any clarification , you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you a good health.