Have a hard particle in ear, noticed blood on cotton bud from ear. What is the underlying cause?

ENT Specialist
A thick dark hard paticle was in my left ear. Now on the cotton ball I have in my ear is blood. I do not know what I should do I alsohave a cold and I did blow my nose hard few times
Posted Sat, 20 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 3 hours later

Thanks for writing to H.C.M. for your query.

I have gone through your query as you said that you have a hard particle in your left ear and as you put cotton boll in your ear you get blood in cotton boll. You are also having cold .

Most probably you are having dry wax in your left ear which you felt as hard particle, the blood which you have seen in cotton ball is most likely due to trauma in ear due to cleaning, because if it had came from middle ear due to cold and subsiquently rupture of ear drum than in that case you should have severe pain before lekage of blood mixed fluid.

So now you should put some wax softner drops in your ear and contact your ENT doctor to remove wax from ear.

For cold you can take steam inhalation and some anti histaminic.

I hope your query is now explained .