Have a cyst on wrist. Getting pain. What to do?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My hands have been achy lately In the past few weeks I've noticed that my hands have been achy . My left wrist has a cyst on the top that has come back a second time. so I figured that was some what the problem for my left hand but the I started noticing that my right hand was hurting too . what can it be?
Posted Thu, 7 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 58 minutes later
There can be several reasons for pain in hands. If you did not have an injury while playing or otherwise, I suppose its something to do with your tendons or ligaments rather than bones. The common reason is a mild sprain that you must have sustained somehow or a tendonitis. The symptoms like pain on stretching hand and inability to grip are also sometimes associated with these.

You need to give it some rest for a while, use hot fomentation twice a day and local ointment for pain relief. Avoid gripping and lifting objects altogether. Keep your hands in most comfortable position or use a splint/crepe bandage most of the time (including at night) for best results. Watch for worsening of symptoms like increase in pain, appearance of swelling and tingling numbness in fingers. If you get any of these, visit your physician and get a check up done followed by investigations like X XXXXXXX or MRI.

It looks like it will resolve on its own in a couple of days. Do not take medications unless absolutely necessary.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Have a cyst on wrist. Getting pain. What to do? 8 hours later
I have a cyst in the top of my left wrist that has appeared twice. The first time I had no problems with it. The cyst eventually went away. The second time it came back and has gotten to the point not only is it making my wrist ache, my hand is is well. What do you recommend that I do?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 14 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
The cyst that you have is likely to be ganglion cyst. In case it is causing constant pain, a surgical removal should be considered. Local steroid injections can also provide a short term relief.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.