Have Thyroid, shaking hands, night sweats, heart palpitations, weakness and loss of weight. Underlying cause?

I have had shaking of my hands, night sweats,heart palpations, weakness, upset stomach,loss of weight and several doctors have told me it is not my thyroid, one thinks it is possible my body is not absorbing my meds properly and wants me to have a stomach scope. Is there blood work that would tell them if my body is or isn't absorbing my meds. I have been this way for over a month, taken to the er and still no answers.
Posted Fri, 12 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sandhya Manorenj 2 hours later

Thank you for writing in.

From your query you have mentioned that you have thyroid disease and now have shaking of hands, with some features of hyperthyroidsm (sweats, palpitation, weakness and tremors) with stomach upset.

I can help you better, if I know the thyroid status - whether you had hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid hormone) or hyperthyroidism (over active thyroid)? What was the latest thyroid profile test results? Are you on any medicines?

From neurological perspective at your age one need to rule out associated parkinsons disease , where one can have shaking, and slowness in activity of daily living. Hence it would be highly appreciated if you have any such symptoms

Blood work up to know whether drug is not absorbed depends on the medicines you are consuming and its drug level in blood can help. Other test to rule out malabsorption in general includes complete blood picture, ESR, Vitamin B12 level, serum albumin level, serum transglutaminase. I suggest to consult Gasteroenterologist , and deceide regarding endoscopy and biopsy for malabsorption.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need clarifications.