Have Rheumatoid Arthiritis. Have had x-ray showing unfolding of aorta. Can it be pulmonary TB?

Cardiac Surgeon
HI - I have had an x-ray showing unfolding of thre aorta. My chest x-ray three weeks ago did not mention this. I have Rheumatoid Arthiritis. Shld I be worried about pulmonary TB?
Posted Thu, 16 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Joan F. Tryzelaar 1 hour later

The two issues have nothing to do with one another. The aorta is the largest artery in the body and is the blood vessel that carries oxygen-rich blood away from the heart to all other parts of your body. The section of the aorta that runs through the chest is called the thoracic aorta.

"Unfolding Aorta" reflects a change of the silhouette of the thoracic aorta as seen on the X XXXXXXX It usually refers to a mild enlargement and straightening of the thoracic aorta on the imaging test. It is an indication of normal aging, atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries) and hypertension.

It is not a sign of anything serious unless there are other findings such as an aneurysm. Tuberculosis is an infectious condition that may affect your lungs but nothing indicates you are at risk.

Hope this helps,
Dr T