Have Restless Legs Syndrome disrupting sleep. Have Bipolar and depression. take Requip and lithium. Suggest?

Nov 2013

My RLS has gone into overdrive and moved further into disrupting my sleep and my life. I take 4mg of Requip and Rested Legs nightly but is not controlling the severity. For Bipolar II and depression, I also take Lithium 900mg, Hydroxizine 200mg, Remeron 30mg. Lastly, Xeralto since I had double pulmonary embolism during chemo 2011. I am working with my psychiatrist for referral to sleep clinic and neurologist. Is there anything you can recommend so I get more than 15 minutes to 3 hours of sleep each night?
Posted Sat, 13 Jul 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 7 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

Requip (ropinirole) is a good and effective drug for treating RLS. I also use pramipexole (mirapex) in many people with good relief of symptoms. In some people, levodopa/carbidopa combination (sinemet) may be required additionally.

Regarding sleep problem in RLS, it is quite common. If sleep is the only problem, then, Stilnox (zolpidem sustained release) can ensure 6-8 hours of sleep. If there is added anxiety, then, I prefer benzodiazepines such as clonazepam or alprazolam.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist