Have Panic disorder. Cardiac tests normal. Doppler suggested of impaired relaxation with A/E ratio.78. Suggest?

All my cardiac tests are normal except the doppler said suggestive of impaired relaxation with A/E ratio .78 EF >55%

Is this possibly a temporary issue? A misreading? I have panic disorder recently past two weeks.
Posted Wed, 14 Aug 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Rene Gerard Cruz Galera Jr 1 hour later
Hi! Thank you for your question and welcome to our site!

A low E/A ratio is a sign of diastolic function. Nrmally, E>A and the E/A ratio should be greater than one. But in certain heart problems (like chronic hypertension) and also as a consequence of aging, the left ventricle of the heart may stiffen (suggesting impaired relaxation), decreasing the E/A ratio because of improper filling.

Now, you are correct in both aspects - this can either be a misreading or this was probably an artefact produced by your panic disorder. Fast heart rates can alter the E/A ratio too because the filling of the heart is not as efficient compared to the filling during normal rates and rhythms. Also, the doppler cursor position is also important and proper technique and good skill is required to correctly get the E/A ratio.

I would suggest that - for your peace of mind - you have the test repeated after your panic disorder has settled quite a bit. I would rather that you check again so that we can be sure that there really isn't something else going on and that it really just is an artefact caused by your recent increase in heart rate.

In the meantime, do not worry about it too much. Continue eating a healthy diet and try to exercise at least 30mins three times a week (the boost of endorphins will do wonders.)

I hope I was able to answer your queries. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Otherwise, you may opt to close this discussion and then rate the answer.

I wish you best of health! Take care!

Dr. Galera
Follow-up: Have Panic disorder. Cardiac tests normal. Doppler suggested of impaired relaxation with A/E ratio.78. Suggest? 50 minutes later
In march my EF was >60, so does it seem to make sense its only panic? And this isnt going to cause any damage while i deal with this? I have a planned vacation tomorrow too so this is very brutal on me. Please tell me im going to be fine.
Answered by Dr. Rene Gerard Cruz Galera Jr 2 hours later

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly.
XXXXXXX based solely on this information, there is nothing to worry about.The EF is still well within the normal range. I suggest that you take the time to enjoy your planned vacation to settle your mind and find your balance again.