Have PCOS, delayed periods. Had sexual intercourse, pregnancy test negative. Abdominal heaviness, swelling. Can I still be pregnant?

Question
I have been diagnosed with PCOS(Polycystic Ovary Syndrome). last month i didnt get my perioed and also me period time exceeds by one week in current month. i have a physical relationship with my finacee. after that i have hometested pregnancy test using pregnancy stiprs available in marekt like I-CARE, and PREGA-NEWS in the month of march and also yesterday. and it showed negative. can i still be pregnant?. and also i am having heavyness in my upper abdomen and having bit sweeling over my vody.
Last time i had my period on 4thfeb-7th feb.
i do not remember when i exactly had intercourse, but after that i had a 'I-PILL'.
Kindly advise.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 34 minutes later

Since your repeated pregnancy tests are negative and you took I-pill after the intercourse ( provided you took i-pill within 24 hours of having an unprotected sex), it is likely that the delay in your periods is due to PCOD or due to the hormonal changes caused by the i-pill. Delay in the period by few days is a common side effect of i-pill.
Pregnancy is not a likely cause in your case.
You can wait for one week and if still the periods do not come then you need to consult a gynecologist who will then prescribe you hormonal treatment o regularize your cycles.
I hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Regards.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal.