Have PCOS and given metformin to regularize cycle and ovulation. Suggest?

Mar 2016

My doctor said if i have PCOS that he would give me metformin 500mg three times a day and this should help in bringing on regular cycles and ovulation. Is this true? Will that get rid of the cysts?
Posted Tue, 17 Sep 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. S Patra 3 days later
Brief Answer:
Yes, Metformin regularizes cycle and ovulation.

Detailed Answer:

First thing, PCOS (Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome) is a most common endocrine disorder and associated with hormonal imbalance & impairment of ovulation. It leads to irregular period and infertility to some extent. Here, hypothalamus- pituitary- ovarian (HPO) axis is mostly disturbed. It is mostly a preventable condition and very few are cured.

Secondly, PCOS is mostly associated with insulin resistance which may lead to type 2 diabetes in future. Here, role of metformin is lowering the blood sugar (produced by liver) to overcome insulin resistance in the body. Thus, it helps to reduce androgen level, produced from ovaries and adrenal gland. In turn, ovulation is properly started and menstrual cycle is regulated.

Using metformin in PCOS is a part of treatment. It is very much useful to restore regular menstrual cycle among 45% women with PCOS. Addition of drugs like ovulation induction, anti-androgen, contraceptive pill etc are more effective if metformin alone fails to restore the cycle.

Last thing, you have to follow the basic things to control PCOS and regularize menstrual cycle. These are:

1) Weight reduction or control of body weight by regular physical exercise- It has key role to correct hormonal imbalance.

2) Take low carbohydrate diet with supportive medication as prescribed by your doctor. Avoid fatty/ junk/ spicy foods. Drink more water & eat green vegetables.

3) You must avoid mental stress or depression by regular yoga/ meditation/ breathing exercise (15-30 min). Take sound sleep & keep bowel habit regular.

In failed medical therapy/ resistant case, laparoscopic ovarian drilling is the procedure of choice for PCOS. It can help to trigger ovulation naturally and restore menstrual cycle. Recurrence rate is quite less in 5-10 yrs.

Hope, above information is helpful to you. Let me know, if you need any clarification.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen
Follow-up: Have PCOS and given metformin to regularize cycle and ovulation. Suggest? 32 minutes later
I do not have pcos. My doctoe ruled out the syndrome. I have pco
Answered by Dr. S Patra 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
PCO & PCOS are mostly the same entity.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your response.

When Poly Cystic Ovary (PCO) is represented with multiple symptoms (like irregular delayed cycle, improper ovulation, weight gain, abnormal hair grow etc), it is called PCOS (Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome). In the true sense, these are interlinked to each other and mostly synonymous.

Therefore, treatment protocol and prevention strategy are same in both cases and you need to follow them strictly.

Hope, I have cleared your doubts. If you don't have any other query, you can close the discussion.

Good luck. All the best.

Dr Soumen