Have PCOS. Trying to conceive. Missing periods. PG test neagtive. Looking for alternate solution

Hi, I am 29 yrs old and have been married since the last 3.5 yrs. Since the last 6 months we are planning to have a baby but I have not yet conceived. I have been diagnosed with Poly Cystic Ovaries. My period cycle is roughly 5weeks. I have not got my last period and my pregnancy test was negative, thus the doctor has given me duphastone 10 mg, twice a day for 5 days. After this medicine course, I am expecting my period to come in the next 2-3 days. Now, I have consulted 2 doctors and they have given me 2 different paths to follow:
1. one doctor said to take tablet fertab 50mg for 5 days as this would help in ovulation.
2. second doctor has prescribed tab nolvadex 10mg for 5 days to be taken on 5th day of cycle for 2 cycles.

I am very confused as to what to do as online information of nolvadex says it is mainly used in breast cancer and in case used for infertility, one shld not get pregnant for 2-3 months after using it.

Kindly guide me with your advice.
Thank you.
Posted Mon, 3 Sep 2012 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 1 hour later
In patient with PCOS, evidence based medicine says clomiphene (fertab) should be used as first line treatment for ovulation. Therefore you should try the first prescription. Regarding nolvadex, it is not much used for ovulation particularly. Take folic acid tablet 5 mg per day and eat a healthy diet.
Let me know if you have any more concerns.

All the best
Follow-up: Have PCOS. Trying to conceive. Missing periods. PG test neagtive. Looking for alternate solution 19 hours later
Thank you for your reply.
First of all, do you think that it is necessary to take fertab, or you feel that I can try for a few more months to see if conception can happen naturally? I've heard that in PCOS, it is possible that ovulation may not occur at all, so fertab helps in ovulation or it only helps an ovulating woman to produce and release more eggs? Also, what are the side effects of taking fertab? Is it possible to detect a pregnancy after 2-3 months? how late a stage can a pregnancy go without being detected?

Your advice would be much appreciated, thank you.
Answered by Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 20 minutes later
Thanks for writing back.
At the age of 29, in my opinion you should take fertab. Side effects are rare like headache, nausea, blurring of vision etc. To detect pregnancy, once you miss your period, check your beta hCG value from a nearby lab. Pregnancy can not go unnoticed if you are sure of missing your period.