Have PCOS. Trying to conceive. Had 3 unsuccessful IUI. On clomid and letrozole. What should I do?

Infertility Specialist
I have polycystic ovary syndrome and have been trying to conceive for the past year. I've done three unsuccessful intrauterine inseminations. The first two times, I was on Clomid. The third time, I was on Letrozole. Wondering if there's anything else my husband (he has low sperm count and low quality) and I can try before considering IVF.
Posted Mon, 3 Sep 2012 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 3 hours later

I read your concerns. Following are my advice:

1) Polycystic ovary should not be a problem as long as you are ovulating as seen by follicular growth scan. IUI are performed only after egg rupture is confirmed.

2) If your husband has low count, it is difficult to conceive with IUI.

3) since your age is 37, it is towards higher range. Hence I advice you to spped up the treatment as your egg quality and quantity decrease with age.

4) In view of your husband's low count you goahead with IVF or ICSI ( Intra Cytoplasmic Sperm Injection) method of treatment as early as you can.

5) I dont think there is any treatment required which will improve your husband's sperms counts dramatically.

I suggest you go ahead with IVF / ICSI at the earliest.

All the best.

I hope I answered your query. I will be available for any followup queries you have.

Dr.Mahesh Koregol
Infertility & IVF Specialist