Have PCOS. Missed period. Suggest medicines to get periods?

I have PCOS and this month I missed my cycle as i had stopped the 21 days medicine that I was taking to regularize my periods. Can you suggest any medicine to get my periods?
Posted Mon, 8 Jul 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 35 minutes later
Thanks for your question.
Before taking any medicine just make sure that you are not pregnant. If this is not the case & you are a diagnosed case of PCOS then you may take progestins like norethisterone or medroxyprogesterone to get your periods. However, it is usual for PCOS patients to skip their cycles. It is necessary to have one after every 3-4 months ( not every month).
If you are overweight, weight reduction may regulate your cycles naturally.
You may also take metformin after consulting your treating doctor. This will help you reduce weight & may regulate your cycles.
These are just some suggestions. You should discuss this with your treating gynecologist before trying any medicine as this may save you from any unwanted effects.
Please feel free to contact me back if you have any question.
Wish you good health.
Follow-up: Have PCOS. Missed period. Suggest medicines to get periods? 27 hours later
what is the dosage of norethisterone?
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 1 hour later
Thank you for your question.
Usually for induction of periods we give it in a dose of 5 milligram 3 times a day for 5 days.
However, I repeat that you should see a gynecologist for proper prescription.