Have PCOS. Had eggs according to ultrasound. On letroz. Endometrium reduced in size. Why?

Infertility Specialist
respected doctors me and my wife trying to have a baby since last 2 years. regularly going to clinic for check up. my tests are ok as per the doctor but she has pcos. her right ovary has typical pcos and left ovary contains egg. but the thing is that she was having her egg at 14 to 21 th day of cycle as per the ultrasound everytime, at this time endometrium also 8mm, doctor said to stay togather 4 days and tests again. this procedure continued for 5 times. but this time doctor gave letroz 2.5 mg and her egg is now 20 mm and endometrium is 5.5 mm. is it possible to concive this time . is there any side effect of letroz as this drug has banned later time. her all reports are ok please tell me why she is not conceiving.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Nandita Thakkar 12 hours later

Based on the details provided, both of you seem to be normal and Polycystic Ovary (PCO) is a finding on scan only from your history.

PCO is found in 40% of the the women and only 25% of them are difficult to treat. In this case as your wife is undergoing scans and there is documentation of ovulation and follicular development, I do not find any reason to worry. You should be able to conceive with repeated trials. There are no reasons to say you would not succeed this time too.

The other issue about letrozole, which was freely used in the last decade - is now banned in the country for infertility management. There are few reported cases of fetal abnormalities. Most of the doctors have stopped prescribing the tablets. Discuss about it with your prescribing doctor.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any other concern.

Dr. Nandita Thakkar