Have PCO. Terminated ectopic pregnancy. Started spotting and missing periods. What is the problem?

May 2013
Hi i am 27 years old and married, 4 months back i had ectopic pregnancy and got it terminated, I also have mild PCO. To regularize my periods Dr has suggested me to take Duphaston 10m for 4 days before the date starts. For the last two months I used to get dark brownish spotting atleast 0ne week before my date which is 4th of every month and hence had the tablets 4 days before the date. After stopping the tablet after 4 days I used to get my periods, but this month when I repeated the same I am only able to see the brownish not very thick discharge even after stopping the tablets but did not get my periods yet. It is been 3 days since i stopped the tablets, but still the dark brown discharge is seen in very less quantities. am I pregenant, or is this indicating some other problem?
Posted Wed, 25 Jul 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later

according to your description the possibilities are,

-irregular ripening of the endometrium:
means when ovulation occurs the follicle will become corpus luteum and secrets hormones, in case of this disorder there will be inadequate formation of corpus luteum, so both estrogen and progesterone will be low to support endometrial growth,
because of this you will have slight bleeding prior to start of proper flow,
as your doctor prescribed duphaston which is a synthetic progesterone, it will support endometrium that is why you used to stop spotting and had regular periods after stopping of drugs.
this time may be problem became severe or dose is insufficient, that is why you are still having bleeding,

-irregular bleeding as symptom of poly cystic ovarian syndrome,

-chance of pregnancy,

so now you better consult your gynecologist once and get,
-physical examination,
-blood test for pregnancy
-hormonal analysis for LH,FSH,estrogen and progesterone
depending on this primary workup the exact cause of your problem can be identified and treatment can be given.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.