Have MRSA staph infection on face, taken Doryx. Dizziness, ear pain, blurry vision. Could MRSA be in my ear canal now?

I have had a MRSA staph infection on my face for over 3 years now. I have been on and off antibiotics for about 2 of those years. Recently it has gotten a lot worse and the antibiotic(Minocycline) that had been helping quit working. My dermatologist has changed my antibiotic to Doryx this past week. I have had dizziness, blurry vision, and have been foggy headed occasionally for the past couple of months. The past couple of days I have had bad ear aches. Could the MRSA be in my ear canal now? Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated. The pain in my face when I have a spot is horrific and I need relief from this awful bug!!
Posted Thu, 20 Sep 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 4 hours later
Dear friend,

The MRSA is a very resistant bug and a person can be a carrier for it. It should be meticulously treated.

I would need to know what all antibiotics have been used so far and for how long.

Where exactly on the face is the infection?

Is it a boil or spreading redness, swelling?

The symptoms would depend on that. Earache could be a referred pain or an actual infection if there is also difficulty hearing, a lesion on or in the ear, discharge, pain, retracted eardrum feel etc.

Do you feel any nausea?

We use linezolid (oral or IV), vancomycin, teicoplanin (both IV), rarely daptomycin, rifampicin for MRSA. doxycycline or minocycline is not our first choice.

In case of troublesome MRSA (resistant), we may use a 2-drug combination- one killer and one inhibitor etc.

In addition, we have to eradicate the carrier state or any undrained pus collection for it to be treated well. We do use mupirocin cream locally and in the nostrils for carrier state. The course needs to be completed adequately, at least 2 weeks depending on the extent.

I would advise to consult your doctor again or consult an IDC (infectious disease consultant) for recurrent MRSA.

Treatment is possible if correct drugs and durations are used.

If could upload a photo of any of your lesions, it would immensely help. You have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better.

Headache, blurred vision could be warning signs, and not to be neglected. Occasionally infection could spread to the brain/ skull cavity and would pose danger.

I hope to have answered your query satisfactorily.
Take care and please keep me informed of your progress.
Good Luck!

If you have no more queries, may I request you to rate your experience here and write a review for me before you close or after any queries are answered.

Thank you.
Follow-up: Have MRSA staph infection on face, taken Doryx. Dizziness, ear pain, blurry vision. Could MRSA be in my ear canal now? 2 days later
I took Doxycycline for about 6 months in 2011, then started taking Minocycline for the past year. Just recently switched to Doryx. I also treated my nose with Mupriocin and used it directly on the boils. The boils occur mostly on my face, but sometimes on the back of my shoulders. They are extremely painful and take a long time to get rid of completely. I have experienced the blurred vision, headaches, and dizziness for the past few months. I also sometimes feel very foggy headed and it is hard to think and process information. I have an appointment with a neurologist next week. Is there something else I could be doing? I have been dealing with this for 3 years and am very frustrated.

Thank you for your time.
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 23 minutes later
Thanks for reverting with more information.

I suppose that it was a culture/ lab proven staph. (MRSA).
have you any culture reports telling the sensitivity profile?

Pl. refer to my answer above.
For such resistant infection, you will need thorough work up.
It is common in diabetics, in people with impaired immunity like HIV, other immune deficiency conditions, post-viral lesions etc.

You should make sure you do not have those.
As I advised, a consultation with an infectious disease consultant would help.
Linezolid/ rifampicin in combination with a cidal drug like teicoplanin,or daptomycin are additional drugs for MRSA. most are IV.
Linezolid / rifampicin are orally available.
We use Linezolid as a common oral drug for MRSA and teicoplanin as iv choice, sometimes rifampicin in addition.

If you upload a photo of your lesions , it would help better.

Please get a thorough medical check up including above tests, HIV tests (if felt appropriate by your doctor), a culture sensitivity of pus from lesions (if not done recently), basic blood tests, Xray chest, testing for diabetes.

I hope this helps.
Would be glad to answer any doubts.
Please "accept the answer" (press button) if no more queries, and rate and write a review to the right of my photo and name on the webpage.
Thanks !