Have Itchy, red and pus filled blisters behind ears. Diagnosed with impetigo. Any cure?

Itching, redness, scaley and blisters seeping yellow discharge from behind my ears. Very painful and throbbing. Dr diagnosticed it as impetigo went on antibiotics and mupirocin creme. Cleared up then i colered my hair and it came back. It is so itchy, scratching feels so good but of course agitates it and it starts all over again
Posted Thu, 20 Dec 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 2 hours later
Hello and thanks for posting the query
Impetigo is caused by streptococcus (strep) or staphylococcus (staph) bacteria. The skin normally has many types of bacteria on it, but intact skin is an effective barrier that keeps bacteria from entering and growing in the body. When there is a break in the skin, bacteria can enter the body and grow there, causing inflammation and infection. Impetigo may also occur on skin where there is no visible break.

Impetigo is contagious, meaning it can spread to others. You can catch this infection if the fluid that oozes from the blisters touches an open area on your skin.

The goal is to cure the infection and relieve the symptoms. A mild infection may be treated with a prescription antibacterial cream. More severe cases may require antibiotics, taken by mouth. Wash (do not scrub) the skin several times a day, preferably with an antibacterial soap, to remove crusts and drainage. Take antihistamines like cetirizine to control itching in worse condition.

Steps to prevent the spread of infection are:
1. If you have impetigo, always use a clean washcloth and towel each time.
2. Do not share towels, clothing, razors, and other personal care products with other family members.
3. Wash your hands thoroughly after touching the skin lesions.
4. Good general health and hygiene help to prevent infection. Thoroughly clean minor cuts and scrapes with soap and clean water. You can also use a mild antibacterial soap.
5. Impetigo is contagious, so avoid touching the draining (oozing) lesions.

As the says goes "Prevention is better than cure" try to prevent the disease and it may not came back. Hope following the precautions will let you get complete cure from the disease. You are getting a right treatment from your doctor. keep in touch with him/her.

Write back if you have any doubt in your mind.
Best Wishes and get well soon.
Dr. Kulbir Singh
Follow-up: Have Itchy, red and pus filled blisters behind ears. Diagnosed with impetigo. Any cure? 1 hour later
I have been using hydrogen peroxide on my ears is that ok?
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 3 hours later
Hello and thanks again
You can use hydrogen peroxide but in dilute form. In my personal opinion it's use does not reduce the infection much as compare to the regular use of antibacterial solution or soap. Hydrogen peroxide is better to used in dirty wound, the foam produced by it cleans up the area. In the area like behind the ear or inside ear it has to be used in dilute form. So it is better to use antibacterial soap as you have being diagnosed as Impetigo.

Dr. Kulbir Singh