Have IBS and diverticulitis. Treated for UTI. Pain in the abdomen with diarrhea, high temperature. Due to diverticulitis?

Question
I have ibs and was diagnosed with diverticulitis 18 months ago. 9 days ago I had lower left abdomen pain and diareaha? went to GP and anti-biotics prescribed and a urine test picked up micro blood? 3days anti biotics for uti as well. During the course of this week I have felt sick and tired, left sided pain has subsided, though all over abdo pain is intermittent.. With a feeling of spasmodic high temp in my face only and generally feeling unwell. Is this a normal attack of diverticulitis?
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Diverticulitis is associated with intermittent pain in the abdomen and diarrhea. Mild persistent pain in abdomen and general feeling of unwell can also be attributed to diverticulitis. Mild feverish sensation could be a part of generalized weakness.
You need to wait for a few more days till the acute stage subsides. These symptoms are likely to improve gradually over 7-10 days.
Meanwhile-
Ensure that you take lots of water.
Avoid spicy food.
Take at least 5-6 portions of vegetables or fruits every day.
Try to get atleast 7 hours of uninterrupted sleep in the night.
Avoid late nights.
Stop smoking and alcohol if you do.

In case, problem does not settle with these measures, you can consult your doctor for the same.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: Have IBS and diverticulitis. Treated for UTI. Pain in the abdomen with diarrhea, high temperature. Due to diverticulitis? 2 days later
Have ammended diet to ensure normal stools and only a little watery feaces. left sided pain intermittent.. return visit to the GP has found bad uti ....another longer course of amoxcicillan, and urine sample sent off for analyisis? now worrying what could be found?

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
If UTI has been detected on urine examination then further analysis will only help in finding out the antibiotic that will be best suitable for you after a culture and sensitivity. Do not worry and follow your health care providers prescriptions.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Regards.