Have Hiatus hernia. Can I go for a roller coaster ride?

I have a hiatal hernia. Is it a bad idea for me to ride a roller coaster? Would my stomach push into my chest cavity?
Posted Wed, 6 Jun 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Riding on a roller coaster as such does not push the stomach into the chest cavity but the associated anxiety and the movements may worsen the gastric acidity thus aggravating your symptoms of pain in the chest, nausea, etc.
Enjoying the roller coaster once in a while is not harmful but be sure to take adequate precautions like taking an antacid like Tums before the ride to neutralize the gastric acid already present in the stomach.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Have Hiatus hernia. Can I go for a roller coaster ride? 13 minutes later
Thank you. I have never ridden a roller coaster, so this is my chance. I am 63, about 10 lbs overweight, and this is my second hiatal hernia--had the first one repaired, but I have a chronic cough, so it came back. Would any of these factors affect your answer? I just want to be sure not to cause any more damage. However, I would love to try the ride.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 57 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
A chronic cough can worsen it but it must be under control now. The factors you have mentioned do predispose you to hiatal hernia but will not affect your first ride on the roller coaster. Enjoy yourself.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.