Have Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Done TSH test. Fatigue, shortness of breath, weakness. Have asthma, using inhaler. Can it still be thyroid?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have hasimotos hypothroid. Two weeks ago I had anither TSH and it came back 28.3. I am severely fatigued and short of breath. I have been o ff work since last wednesday which is highly unusual for me. I called my endo again today and said i still feel terrible and the nurse said the doc said its not thyroid anymore because my t3 was normal andto go back to work. I am still very weak and shirt of breath. I also have asthma but its a different feeling and plus my inhaler does nothing. Can it still be my thyroid or something else?
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 2 hours later
Hi there.

Kindly specify the units of measurement for TSH please.

Are you having wheezing during episodes of shortness of breath ?

Any swelling of feet or edema ?

Normal TSH levels is considered to be between 0.3 to 3 mIU/L. If these are the units of measurement, your TSH level is very high and indicates severe hypothyroidism due to Hashimoto's disease.

The shortness of breath is due to possible poor cardiac output and circulation which can accompany severe thyroid hormone changes. Other possibility could be your Asthma which has flared up and not responding well to inhaler. Asthma is associated with wheezing and chest tightness.

The hypothyroidism can aggravate an asthma due to immune mechanisms and hence make Asthma control difficult. You may probably need stronger medication to control asthma. Main point to remember is avoid extremes of temperature in environment and avoid allergic substances to avoid asthma attacks.

For now, do lie in a propped up position of 45 degrees from your bed, using head-end elevation by bed or pillows. This will help making breathing less laborious. Keep warm. Do use your inhaler as advised by your Doctor for managing Asthma attacks. Keep well hydrated. Eat a healthy diet XXXXXXX in proteins and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables as they help in increasing energy and reducing fatigue. Take your Test Report values and consult your Endocrinologist immediately for possible change in medication or further investigation like autoimmune antibody titre levels which may be needed to decide treatment.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wishing good health.