Have GERD, diabetic and elevated BP and cholesterol. Having pain in chest. What could be the cause?

General Surgeon
Good morning. I have GERD, and an diabetic with slightly elevated levels of blood pressure and cholesterol. I work out as a martial artist and frequently do pushups, etc.

I am experiencing a pain in the center of my chest. I noticed it after sex, but also notice it occasionally during periods of stress. This time, it was accompanied with a need to burp and a desire to walk around, get some water, and take some deep breaths. Now, when I work out, I don't feel any of these symptoms ever.

Is this likely stress, Gerd, or something more serious?

Note, just over a year ago, I did visit a cardiologist for a stress test, and it was negative.
Posted Mon, 1 Jul 2013 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 25 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Such symptoms can be caused by stress indeed. Stress stimulates stomach for acid secretion.
But such symptoms can also be caused by something more serious. As you are GERD patient, your stomach surface is constantly exposed for increased acid level. This can cause chronic stomach inflammation or even stomach cancer. That is why you should have gastroscopy done every few years and especially if the symptoms get worse.

GERD is very often associated with asthma. Asthma can give shortness of breath, chest pain and cough. It can be triggered by stress or physical activity (including intercourse).

I suggest you to visit your doctor, have gastroscopy done to rule out the cancer and other serious diseases. You should also visit pulmunologist and have spirometry (blow test) done.

Hope this will help.