Have Follicular Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. What vaccination should I take if planning to travel?

Hi - I have Stage VI Follicular Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma and am traveling to Bali in August - what shots am I able to get? I went to Africa in 2007 and received Hep A/B, Typhoid, etc. I see that they have suggested a pre-rabies shot going into Indonesia as well - and that I should not take the ORAL Typhoid because of my cancer but it does not state the shot is off limits.... please help....thank you!
Posted Tue, 25 Jun 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Prasad 9 hours later

Thanks for this query.

Vaccination is done with caution and careful observation in the presence of immune compromised state. Live vaccines are contraindicated and few attenuated vaccines fail to produce sufficient immunity to protect you.

Now, as you are planning a trip to Bali, I think you need to make sure you are properly immunized and protected against hepatitis A and B, diphtheria, tetanus, rabies and malaria. If your trip is going to last for more than a month protection against Japanese encephalitis is essential. And if the visit is going to last much longer preventive treatments against typhoid and tuberculosis should also be considered. In simple words, I suggest these:

1. I see that you already been vaccinated against hepatitis A/B and typhoid and I hope you have received the complete vaccination; else you may need to redo it. For typhoid, you could consider polysaccharide capsular vaccine given intramuscularly and not the regular oral vaccine.
2. DT (Diptheria and Tetanus toxoid) should be considered if you haven't been vaccinated yet.
3. Rabies vaccination may not be effective in view of low immune response. You might need to consider immunoglobin therapy if you have an exposure during the visit.
4. Japanese encephalitis vaccine can be taken if your visit is going to last longer than a month.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Wish you a happy and safe journey.