Have COPD. Suddenly started coughing and vomiting. What could be the problem?

Good morning-----my 65 yr old husband who has COPD awakens every morning coughing until he throws up. What could possibly be the problem? My husband has a family history of tuberculosis, emphysema (which he has) DDD,high cholestrol, high bp, PTSD (POST TRAUMATIC DISORDER-VIETNAM) and consumes a great amount of alcohol daily. He coughs so violently, that he has projectile emesis. I am quite concerned s these symptoms are becoming increasingly more intense as time goes by. Please, if you are able, helpmy husband. he has given over 30 years of his life to his country, fighting for her freeom, and now training others to follow in his footsteps. He asks for no special treatment fromhis own government medical facilities, but yet theycan't seemto find a few minutes to evaluate and give this man a prognosis. Thank you so much for your time.
Posted Tue, 23 Oct 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 59 minutes later

I have gone through the details submitted with diligence. Your husband unfortunately seems to be suffering with multiple medical problems. The excessive cough with vomiting early in the morning may be related to severe gastritis causing heart burn or lung condition (COPD). A few tests such as High Resolution CT (HRCT) thorax to know the extent of COPD and upper GI endoscopy are warranted to know more about his problems.

In addition he also needs to consult a board certified pulmonogist. He / she can guide him for further investigations like pulmonary function test or any other necessary test. That will determine the true state of his physical condition. We can plan his treatment accordingly.

You said he is "training others" now. I am pleased to know despite all his medical condition he is able to perform daily tasks. Do encourage him to consult a doctor (pulmonologist and gastroenterologist) and to get the tests done.

Hope I answered your queries. Feel free to ask if you have any other concerns.