Have Bilateral spondylolysis. Causing servere narrowing of bilateral neural foramina. Suffer pain. What can be done?

My name is XXXXXXX XXXXXXX from Australia, 2day I've been told I have Bilateral spondylolysis at L5 & grd1 Anterolisthesis of L5 over s1 vertebral body, there is disc bulge at this level along with an element of spondylolisthesis causing servere narrowing of bilateral neural foramina with bilateral exiting nerve root compression, also posterior disc bulge at L4-5 causing the cal indentation, I've had surgery 3years ago Laminectimy & nothing has changed, I suffer every day with shooting pain down right leg & butt, am taking OxyContin 2help with pain, I can't Walk much or do much in life because of pain, I ask you please can u help me ? What surgery would be best ? A fusion maybe ?
Posted Sat, 27 Jul 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later
Welcome to Healthcare Magic.
The findings you have mentioned are significant and enough to cause a chronic pain and suffering.
Because you have had surgical intervention 3years back, it is worthwhile that you get a reviewed physical examination by a local neurologist and possibly you will need a revised surgery to release the pressure on the nerve roots and spine.
The dragging pain in thigh and buttocks is most likely the sciatica due to local pathology causing Neuropathy.
General pain killers are not helpful so I advise you to add a specific drug called pregabalin which is very effective drug for neuropathic pain. You should get yourself assessed and get this drug prescribed by a local physician.
I hope the advise will be helpful for you.
Follow-up: Have Bilateral spondylolysis. Causing servere narrowing of bilateral neural foramina. Suffer pain. What can be done? 1 hour later
Thanks Dr 4your Answer, do u think I should stay on OxyContin & Pregabalin at same time ? I take 3 OxyContin per day 5mg, sometimes 4 tabs if pain is really bad, depending on what I do during the day movement wise. Nerve pain down leg has got much worse past year & the OxyContin does help my back pain a great deal but doesn't do much for sciatic pain at all, what do u think ?
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 9 minutes later
Hi XXXXX...,
Welcome to Healthcare Magic.
That the crux here.
Oxcontin is okay for skeletal pain and same is true about pregabalin in case of sciatica and neuropathic pain.
I hope the drug will ease out your life and also reduce the requirement of oxcontin, although you can use the two drugs together for relief.
Wish you a good health.