Have Benign prostatic hyperplasia. How long can we continue to use Flomist after initial relief?

How long can we continue to use 'Flomist' after initial relief is obtained?

I am having BPH for the last 5 years. I have been prescribed "Flotral 10mg" 1tab at bed time. The flow is very good 3 hours after taking the tablet. After that the effect of the medicine is slow reduced. I do not have any pain or burning sensation during urination. Only problem is reduced speed of flow. The volume of prostate is 41cc. What is your advice?
Posted Thu, 4 Apr 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 39 minutes later
Dear friend,

Thanks for entrusting your query here!
I am Dr. Prasad Akole (Critical Care Expert- and am glad to address to your query here.

Flomist is a local steroid spray used to suppress local allergic effects.
As long as allergic exposure continues, you will have symptoms. So use of flomist is long term to suppress the allergy.

There is no hard and fast rule. You have to identify and avoid any inciting antigen causing the allergy. Stopping flomist after symptom will cause the allergic manifestations again.
So be guided by your ENT expert and continue long term till allergic exposure persists.

As for BPH, alfuzosin is used as a prostate specific alpha blocker to relax the smooth muscle in the prostate and relieve any obstruction to urine flow due to muscle contraction.

If you have any mechanical obstruction which is fixed (not muscle tone dependent), it may still cause poor stream and symptoms of BOO (Bladder Outlet Obstruction) like yours.

Your query does not mention any sonography details and if any other tests were done.

For inadequate relief of BOO, I would suggest to get urodynamic studies done (a simple urination test) under a urologist’s guidance and see the pattern of obstruction. Also a PSA (Prostate Specific Antigen) level is better done at this age as screening for prostate cancer.

Depending on the findings, another drug may be added to Flotral. These days a large number of better drugs are available for prostate.

So, do not worry, get evaluated.

I hope to have answered your query satisfactorily. I would be glad to answer any further queries.
Take care and please keep me informed of your progress at
Good Luck! Thank you!!