Have Addison's disease, irritable, short-tempered. Is this a feature of the disease. Also have pernicious anemia

Question
My husband has Addison's disease. He is also very irritable and short tempered and can sulk for days. This is much worse than it used to be. Is this a feature of the disease?

He also has perniceous anoemia.
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 4 hours later

Yes, changes in mood and personality is one of the commonly encountered symptoms in Addison's disease. Also there will be reduced tolerance to emotional stress which may aggravate the above symptoms.

Cortisol stabilizes mood and a person's sense of well-being.Since there is deficiency of this hormone in Addison's disease, affected people do suffer from personality changes.

The treatment of such a mood disorder seen in Addison's disease is dependent on the treatment of the main disease itself.

hydrocortisone is the only best way to combat the mood disorder seen in Addison's disease. Psychotherapy through sessions of counselling by a psychiatrist also helps but not to the comfort levels.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Follow-up: Have Addison's disease, irritable, short-tempered. Is this a feature of the disease. Also have pernicious anemia 8 hours later
Can the irritability and bad temper be reduced if he gets his medication adjusted. Should he go to his GP and get his prescription changed?

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 7 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Yes, you got it right. He has to consult his treating doctor for the revision of the dosage and adjusting according to the present symptoms and needs.

Hope I answered all your questions. Please use any answer clarification before closing and rating this answer. I will be happy to explain or expand on any issue you may have.

I wish him a speedy recovery.