Have Acute and transient psychotic disorder. What is it?

Query for Dr Susanta Padhy

HI I am Shitize XXXXXXX I got married on 14 feb 2013 on 15 feb 2013 I went to hotel first night with my wife she react abnormally and she started talking insensible talk. After that she started shouting and took her jewelerly and put in her purse and after half an hour she got up and ask for her XXXXXXX ,She also told erth is shaking ,and sky will distroy .I told i dont know u must be knowing were you kept your jewelery and my and her father family reach there and found jewelery in her bag ,but her father was not shocked the way she was behaving. Then I bring her at home she in night at 7 pm she throw her everything from cupboard and locked her room and started shouting and abusing when her father come she open the door in one knock and he took away the girl.we went to doctor he told she had ATPD disease and prescribe her olimelt 5 mg in morning and 10mg in night for 14 days after 14 days 10 mg in night i.e till 21 march 2013.(total she eating this medicine from 31 days and our doctor say he wil tell after 21 march.
Please tell what exactly ATPD is ,can it be cure , weather it can reoccur or not it is what we should do and how much time this will take to cure.And can it be happen in one or two day before marriage

Posted Fri, 5 Apr 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 57 minutes later

ATPD stands for acute transient polymorphic psychotic disorder, or, acute and transient psychosis.

As the name suggests, this illness is acute in onset (that means it starts in few days), it lasts for transient period (may be a 1-2 months), responds well to antipsychotic medications (like olanzapine in your case) and gets recovered in a couple of months. It usually starts after some stressor (marriage is a stressor, speaking psychologically; it can happen 1-2 days before or after marriage). May or may not reoccur.

In contrast to other psychotic illness, it has acute onset, rapid and complete recovery, less chance of recurrence.

However, at the same time, one need to keep in mind that a pre-existing psychotic illness can aggravate in response to stress (like may be marriage in your case)

You should discuss all these issues with your doctor without any hesitation. I am sure your doctor will explain your concerns. Because this discussion is also a part of the treatment

Hope, this information would be of some help.

I am available for further discussion.