Have ALS. Having weakness and swallowing difficulties. Diagnosed with small fiber neuropathy. Symptoms do not match. Guide?

I have been assured at Wash U St XXXXXXX that I do not have ALS . Tons of tests. This is my second opinion. Continual weakness that seems to get worse everywhere. Swallowing difficulties. What do I do next? I hv been diagnosed w small fiber neuropathy but so many of the symptoms don't seem to match.
Posted Tue, 16 Jul 2013 in Multiple Sclerosis
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 2 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

Glad to know you are not suffering from ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis), which is a progressive disorder.

Is your Blood pressure, Cholesterol level , blood sugar under control? How about thyroid or connective tissue disorders.... have you been evaluated?

Do you have any anxiety issues or are you under stressful conditions right now?
Anxiety could explain the swallowing difficulty....

There is no specific treatment for small fibre neuropathy if idiopathic(cause unknown)
Have the doctors diagnosed the cause of small fibre neuropathy or is it idiopathic?

I would advise you to sign up for yoga classes, if you have a good yoga instructor in your area.

Regular exercise after consulting with your physician.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan