Has walking difficulty, legs get locked. EEG, MRI and CT scan normal. Has hypertension and anxiety. What is it?

Hi, my mother is suffering from a peculiar problem, she has walking difficulties some times, her left leg gets locked when she is tensed...I have visited number of doctors, have done multiple and all possible tests: EEG, MRI, CT is not parkinsons, but it is something which has not yet been diagnosed. While, she is walking and she is under anxiety, her left leg gets locked, and then she starts dragging her feet...but the minute some one tells her that she is dragging her feet, she walks normally...she has hypertension and has anxiety..what do you think the problem is?
Posted Fri, 13 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: All causes listed, and ruled out to find the cause Detailed Answer: Hello sir/ma'am and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. Well, I would like to start by listing the causes for such a presentation and then ruling out those which can be ruled out with help from the already conducted investigations. They are the following: -Arthritis -Ligament injury or tear -Osteoarthritis -Plica syndrome -Injury and displacement of bone fragments -Psychological causes -Nerve damage in the region or in the brain As you have reported MRI and CT to have returned normal or inconclusive results, I would say that we can rule out arthritis, osteoarthritis, Plica syndrome, injury and displacement of bony fragments, and nerve damage in the region. I would further advise an arthroscopy and an MRI of the brain, if this has not been conducted yet. These will help rule out all other causes, and then leave us with the one most likely cause in your mother's case; psychological cause. In such individuals, the subconscious (unaware) mind attains a state which is far from normal (without any present abnormalities) or causes. These presentations cannot be explained and in most likelihood are related to psychological conditions like depression, anxiety or personality disorders. In my opinion, once the above listed investigations are conducted, the next best step would be to take your mother to a psychiatrist or psychologist for a thorough evaluation sir/ma'am. I hope you found my response both helpful and informative. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you. Best wishes.
Follow-up: Has walking difficulty, legs get locked. EEG, MRI and CT scan normal. Has hypertension and anxiety. What is it? 7 minutes later
Is there a cure for this, if this is psychological?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes sir/ma'am Detailed Answer: Hello once again. Yes sir/ma'am, of course. But this will require religious visits and co-operation with the psychologist, and may be even medication to tackle to main cause (i.e. anxiety or depression or a personality disorder, etc.). Therapy takes time, but counseling has shown to help patients out of such situations. Hope this helps. Do not worry, your mothers problem does not seem to be severe, with some medical help and attention, all will be fine soon. Best wishes.