Has tuberculosis lymph node, prescribed akurit. Is this treatment enough?

Hi, one of my friend she has a lymph node near her neck, after consulting the doctor we found it to be tuberculosis lymph nodes, she 28yrs old and weighs 65kg. She has been prescribed for AKURIT 4, 4 tabs a day for 6 months and she was told that it is the initial stage and can be treated with this medication. is this treatment enough or we need go for something else as well? Is something very serious?
Posted Wed, 19 Jun 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 24 minutes later
Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:

1. Your friend seems to be suffering from TB lymphadenitis and has been prescribed anti tb medication (Tb Akurit 4) for the same.
Please do take TB pyridoxine 10 mg per day along with it under supervision of your doctor.

2. Baseline blood investigations that are required are LFT, KFT and HIV testing. Also a chest xray and ultra sound of the abdomen needs to be done. Atleast Monthly follow up with your doctor is required.

3. The diagnosis of TB lymphadenitis is usually confirmed on FNAC.

4. Please do not worry. A minimum of 6 to 9 months of anti tb medications is required for treatment.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
Consultant Pulmonologist