Has sphere like movable ball above belly button. Had longer periods, diarrhea and constipation. US showed gall stones

Rheumatologist
Question
My aunt has a sphere like ball that moves around. From what we can tell, the ball is semi hard and about 5" wide. When lying down, it can't be felt, or it can sometimes go a little above the belly button, if she lays to the right -goes right and vice versa to the left. When standing up, it disappears or can sometimes be barely felt somewhere. She has had longer periods than normal and a little more frequent. She's had some diarrhea and some constipation, but it's not ongoing. Sometimes she's a little more tired than normal, but other than that she feels quite healthy. An abdominal ultrasound showed some gallstones and gas but was told it was nothing abnormal. Blood tests were also normal. Any ideas on what this could be?
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Lipoma

Detailed Answer:
Dear madam,

Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Well looking into your problem I would say that the description that you are giving can be a lipoma . It can behave in the manner as you have suggested in your history .

Since you say that all tests are normal , even USG abdomen is normal then only MRI ABDOMEN may lead us to exact diagnosis . I will advise you to see a surgeon who will do the examination of abdomen and locate the exact location , size , consistency of lump only after which diagnosis can be ascertained .

Dr. Shruti

Follow-up: Has sphere like movable ball above belly button. Had longer periods, diarrhea and constipation. US showed gall stones 6 minutes later
My aunt fell on her hip a few months back, could this have any bearing on this?

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No.

Detailed Answer:
Dear madam,

In my opinion these two things are not related to each other.

Dr.Shruti

Follow-up: Has sphere like movable ball above belly button. Had longer periods, diarrhea and constipation. US showed gall stones 33 minutes later
Are lipomas automatically visible through the skin, or can they be underneath? Since it's where the intestines and tummy fat are -this lump is not really noticeable through the skin, but it can definitely be felt. Also, do cancer lumps move like this as well, or do they remain in one place?

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Lipomas are not cancerous.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam,

Lipoma are generally visible and can be underneath skin also. Generally cancer lumps are fixed to underlying structure but exceptions are always there.

Dr. Shruti